Monday, March 28, 2016

The "Cost" of Staying Alive

This has been something that has been on my mind a lot recently as I learned I need cataract surgery. Cataract surgery in 25 year olds is not a thing that typically happens and it wasn’t what I was expecting at all when I saw my eye dr last week. Cataracts can be a side effect of one of my lupus medications (prednisone i.e. steroids). So here we are having to make decisions and have surgery that will probably result me needing glasses for the rest of my life.

I know glasses aren’t the end of the world, but it’s just another thing to add to the ever growing list. I have steroid induced cushing’s syndrome, I’ve gained an insane amount of weight, my skin is always breaking out, I bruise much more easily, and mood swings among other things. These are just the side effects from my one medication, but this is the same medication that has allowed me to finish half marathons, travel the world, work a dream job, volunteer with chronically sick children and kind of live a life for the past 4ish years.

Is it “worth it?” At one point does the side effects and negatives of a medication outweigh the benefits? I mean I’m still here and still fighting so I guess at least for these moments it’s still worth it. That isn’t even including the side effects of my other medications.

My dr has increased my dosage of my one med hoping to decrease dosage of my steroids and this med is causing hair thinning and may cause cancer. Every morning when I take my pills I knowingly accept these risks as I know the risk of not taking it is much worse.

My favorite is that some have the side effect of death. So here I am fighting illnesses that can kill me or taking pills to fight these illnesses that can kill me. It seems like lose if we do, lose if we don’t situation. And truthfully all of this sucks and isn’t decisions anyone should EVER have to make. Better, less toxic treatment options are needed. A cure would be lovely, but we’ll start with better treatment options.

No matter how much I hate this, hate these side effects, hate what these medications have done to my body, I’m still alive, still running, still trying to take on the world, and know that I still have a lot of fight left in me. I can use this fight to share my story, spread awareness and raise much needed funds for research.

This morning I was able to get in a much needed run and it was the perfect chance to clear my mind. Running is so cathartic and it gave me a much needed break from all the thinking and difficult decisions I’ve had to make recently. During my run, I was able to enjoy this beautiful day, the little things and revel in fact that despite all of this my body is still doing this.

Thankfully I have a 5k this weekend and Star Wars Dark Side Challenge 2 weeks after that. Lots of exciting non-medical things to look forward to plus more medals to add to my ever-growing collection!

5 comments:

  1. I had the pleasure to work with Ashlie at Disney World for several months before she left due to her battle with Lupus. She befriended me instantly and taught be many things about work and Lupus. I'm so proud that she writes these honest blogs about her battles and decisions she's forced to make. Hopefully she is helping others continue to fight the fight to enjoy life. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can’t believe this. A great testimony that i must share to all LUPUS patient in the world i never believed that their could be any complete cure for LUPUS or any cure for LUPUS,i saw people’s testimony on blog sites on how DR Aba prepare herbal cure and brought them back to life again. i had to try it too and you can,t believe that in just few weeks i started using it all my pains stop gradually and i had to leave without the LUPUS DRUGS the doctor gave to me. Right now i can tell you that few months now i have not had any pain,delay in treatment leads to death. Here is his email: dr.abaherbalhome@gmail.com his WHATSAPP number is +2348107155060

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very happy today to share my testimony on how a doctor cure me from LUPUS. I was infected with LUPUS, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking on how to get a solution out so that my body can be restore again. i found an article about one doctor who already help a lady with his herbal medicine. then i contacted him. He told me all the things I need to do, and he send the herbal medicine to me here in my country to take, I followed the instruction properly on how to take it. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the LUPUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him at dr.abaherbalhome@gmail.com or whatapp him number +2348107155060

    ReplyDelete
  4. My name is Riska Stella from USA i am so very happy to testify about this great herbal Dr Ojie I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on LUPUS and i saw comment of people talking about how Dr Ojie cured them. I Was scared because i never believed in the Internet but i was convince to give him a try because i having no hope of been cured of LUPUS so i decided to contact him with his email that was listed on the comment { drojiespelltemple@gmail.com } Or check his website: https://drojiespelltemple.wixsite.com/spelltemple when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without problem, my LUPUS result came out negative. I pray for you Dr Ojie God will give you everlasting life, you shall not die before your time for being a sincere and grate men. Am so happy, you can also contact him if you have any problem Email:{ drojiespelltemple@gmail.com } or call the dr number +2348105074556

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello everyone! my name is Noah, I'm writing this article to appreciate the good work of DR AKHIGBE that helped me recently to bring back my wife that left me for another man for the past 6 months. After seeing a comment of a woman on the internet testifying of how she was helped by DR AKHIGBE I also decided to contact him for help because all i wanted was for me to get my wife, happiness and to make sure that my child grows up with his mother 'I love my wife' Am happy today that he helped me and i can proudly say that my wife is now with me again and she is now in love with me like never before. Are you in need of any help in your relationship like getting back your man, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend or loves and family relationship.  Viewers reading my post that needs the help of DR AKHIGBE should contact him via E-mail: drrealakhigbe@gmail.com You  can also call or contact him via whatsapp +2348142454860  He also cure deadly diseases and virus with his natural herbal medicine herbs.  like
    HIV/AIDSHERPESEPILEPSYNAUSEA VOMITING OR DIARRHEASTROKEEXTERNAL INFECTIONCANCERDIABETESCHRONIC DISEASEHEPATITIS A&B AND OTHERS. his email again:  drrealakhigbe@gmail.comnumber : +2348142454860 

    ReplyDelete